We are in search of a CAD-CAM-machining technician to assist in daily operations of the Cold Spray Research Laboratory. The (CSRL) focuses on developing repair techniques and 3D additive manufacturing technology by a novel method that uses spraying of cold metal particles through a supersonic gas stream. The primary goal of the project is to develop procedures to repair damaged (worn and/or corroded) components, in order to restore parts to original geometrical (and functional) specifications.
The technician is expected to have a working knowledge of manual operation of lathes, mills, and machine shop tools. The technician will be expected to learn how to safely operate CSRL’s cold spray system. The employee will work with research scientists, engineers and students. The employee will also work with the lab manager to assist in the maintenance of the CSRL equipment and inventories, and assist with ordering supplies.
Position requires demonstrated experience with using computer aided design software, computer aided manufacturing equipment (milling machine and lathe), and manual machining. Candidates who work well on a team will be given preference.
• Education and/or Experience: A vocational degree (associate’s degree preferred) in metal machine shop operation with demonstrated education and experience in using computer aided design/manufacturing (CAD/CAM) technologies with milling machines and lathes.
• Machining Skills: Demonstrated operational experience of using computer aided milling machines and lathes and more conventional machine shop equipment.
• Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as engineering blueprints and specifications. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and to small groups.
• Mathematical Skills: Ability to perform necessary calculations to satisfy job requirements.
• Reasoning Ability: Ability to make judgment decisions based on specifications or technical requirements.
• Computer Skills: working level knowledge of computer aided design software packages.
US Citizenship is required.