About the Opportunity:
Northeastern University’s Kostas Research Institute (KRI) focuses on research and applications to national security challenges. Our program in robotic autonomy, decision-making and human-device teaming focuses on force readiness and force protection to drive technology and prototype development in a variety of government-backed initiatives. We are seeking a talented and motivated Robotics Engineer to join our growing team and collaborate with a cross-disciplinary team of engineers, PhDs, and Professors. As a member of our technical staff, you’ll be working to jointly prepare a program vision, develop proposals and project concepts, and deliver prototype systems for meaningful field testing.
In this role, you will be working University-owned Research Institute with a team that is focused on:
- Robotic/autonomous navigation, human interaction, and perception for (primarily) defense and security applications
- Developing, creating, or deploying navigation or perception software onto the robotic systems which may be commercially available or custom built.
- Integrating AI/ML technology to improve autonomous control and decision making as well as human-device cooperation.
- Your primary focus will be to expand the autonomous perception, localization, and mapping capabilities of these robotic systems.
- You will be working in a collaborative environment to develop technology and prototype systems, identify next-step goals and development opportunities, coordinate multi-participant grant-funded programs, and coordinate/oversee the smooth delivery of deliverables vs program goals and milestones.
- This position is based in the Arlington, VA office.
- Expand the autonomous perception, localization, and mapping capabilities of these robotic systems
- Develop or implement AI/ML algorithms to improve autonomous decision-making and human-teaming in prototype systems
- Working in a collaborative environment, coordinate multi-participant grant-funded programs, and coordinate/oversee the smooth delivery of deliverables against program goals and milestones Reporting
- Participate in small and tactical development teams using agile development principles, sprint planning, and standups etc.
- Participate in customer meetings to present and discuss technical plans and milestones
- MS or PhD degree, or equivalent experience in Robotics and/or Autonomous Engineering (or related discipline)
- Eligible for National Security Clearance, current clearance preferred
- 5+ years research experience
- Ability to communicate complex robotics, robotics autonomy, device-driven decision making, and human-device interaction concepts and results in an understandable manner
- Ability to interface between university faculty to build and coordinate collaboration on multi-year development initiatives
- Excellent comprehension of robotic control and decision-making systems
- Demonstrable example(s) of designed and developed autonomous robotic systems
- Dedication to continuous integration and testing
- Excellent communication skills