About the Opportunity:
This position has three responsibilities – CNC machining (40%), operation of cold spray equipment (35%) and maintenance of shop equipment (25%).
The Research Associate will be responsible for the preparation and operation of cold spray equipment, as well as preparation and evaluation of sprayed specimens. He/she will be responsible for keeping the lab space organized and in good order. The Associate will be required to follow safety procedures precisely. Cold spray involves the deposition of metal powders (and other materials) using high pressure gases.
CNC training may be available for a candidate with traditional machining experience. Candidate must have the machining experience to translate CAD drawings to finished part without additional guidance.
Maintain laboratory equipment per manufacturer’s specifications. Be responsible for keeping track of when maintenance is required and ensuring that maintenance supplies are in stock. Determine when specialists are required, and (with approval) arrange for specialists.
- Associates degree
- 5+ years’ experience in metalworking/machining
- Ability to translate CAD drawing into finished part independently
- Fast learner, attention to detail, ability to multitask and problem-solve
- Ability to work with all types of people
- Ability to follow laboratory safety and operating instructions precisely
- Ability to follow project instructions and procedures precisely
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills
- Eligibility to obtain National Security Clearance
- 3+ years CNC machining
- 2+ years’ experience in robotic programming
- 2+ years’ experience with generating CAD drawings using Solidworks
- Experience with high pressure gas fittings such as Swagelok